Our Cutting-Edge Test Machines, both Automatic & Semi-Automatic, for:
KITCHEN KNIVES | HUNTING, POCKET & FOLDING KNIVES | MACHINE BLADES | AGRICULTURAL BLADES | BOX CUTTERS & TOOL KNIVES | LARGE MEDICAL BLADES | WOOD CHISELS
These machine systems answer the questions “How sharp is the blade?” and “How long will the sharpness last?”
- Measures the edge sharpness and durability of a large range of blades and knives for quality control, research and development, and competitor product evaluation.
- Quickly and accurately measures important cutting performance data.
- Conforms fully to the International Cutting Test Standard, which details the test method and sharpness specification for knives for the preparation of food.
- Automatic sharpness tester is ideal for large sample sizes and extensive development projects and is completely programmable to allow operation to the standard or user’s own specification.
- Semi-automatic test machine is ideal for smaller research projects and low volume quality control use.
How it works:
The cutting-edge to be tested is mounted vertically and a pack of specially developed synthetic card is lowered on to it. By moving the blade back and forth repeatedly, the blade cuts into the paper; the depth of the cut being the measurement of sharpness. The test card is loaded with 5% silica, which has a mild wearing effect on the blade edge. The measurement of cut depth at each subsequent stroke can then be plotted to produce a wear curve for each blade tested.
|Semi-Automatic Model||Automatic Model|
|Test Stroke||fixed 25mm or 40mm (chosen at the time of ordering)||Adjustable 0 to 128mm, Standard test 40mm|
|Test Cutting Speed||fixed 50mm/s||Adjustable 0 to 150mm/s (standard test 50mm/s)|
|Test Load||50N||25N and 50N (standard test)|
|Optional counter-balance||not available||0 to 25N counter-balance weights for delicate blades|
|Max Depth of Cut||50mm||50mm|
|Overall Vertical Capacity||105mm (including 50mm of cut) making maximum blade width 100mm||105mm (including 50mm of cut) making maximum blade width 100mm|
|Size||700mm x 430mm x 1000mm, work bench mounted||1700mm x 1800mm x 2000mm, own integral frame|
|Computer Hardware||Controlled a programmable logic controller. Data output can be captured with an optional interface.||PC system built in to the equipment. Compatible with Microsoft Excel and Access to provide data analysis, reporting and database facilities.|
|Typical sharpness measurements from this machine|
Specifications – Test Media
Specially formulated card with silica content of 5%, this test card is critical to the accuracy of the test system:
|Weight||5kg per pack|
|Thickness||0.31mm ± 0.02mm|
|Size||10mm wide x 560mm long|
We offer full independent and confidential Testing Services based on these machines.