Exceptional Knife Performance in a matter of seconds:
it’s the Professionals’ Choice
Produces exceptionally sharp, very durable cutting edges, proved by extensive tests
- Consistent very high sharpness level achieved on every knife, with every user.
- Resulting cutting edge lasts up to 50% longer than with many other sharpeners.
- 10 – 20 seconds per knife.
- Any length or size of knife with plain edge.
- No skill or lengthy training required, easy to use.
- Easy to clean and maintain.
- Uses the unique CATRA “Gothic Arch” spiral grinding technique, for a burr-free edge.
- Saves money through productivity improvements.
- Magnetic particle entrapment system keeps food process areas free from metallic contamination.
- Safe to operate, no touchable moving parts.
- Designed and manufactured in Sheffield, the Steel City.
Over 4000 of these knife sharpeners in use in supermarkets, retail butcher shops, restaurants, food manufacture/processing and small sharpening services and shoe/heel bars.
The sophisticated principle of Tapered Spiral Interlock grinding gives a convex section cutting edge of a constant angle (often known as Gothic Arch) without any burrs or edge protrusions. The edge generated is ideal for immediate use and can easily be maintained during the working day using a sharpening steel.
Small replaceable grinding wheels coated with the high-tech abrasive Cubic Boron Nitride (CBN) give many advantages to our knife sharpeners, including:
- Cool sharpening (i.e., not requiring water) without loss of temper to the blade.
- Knives sharpened with CBN spiral wheels can have up to twice the cutting edge life of knives sharpened on conventional wheels or belts as they don’t overheat and therefore soften the first 2 – 5 microns of the edge.
- Minimal wheel-wear – no loss of shape and no damage.
- Safer – the wheels will not break or splinter.
One pair of these grinding wheels can sharpen 1000-5000 times, dependent on the size and condition of knives. This makes the cost of re-sharpening less than £0.06 ($0.09) per knife. In stores such as butcher shops, typical sharpening wheel life is 2 to 3 years. When it’s time to replace the wheels, a new pair can be fitted in less than 5 minutes.
The machine only generates metal dust, which is kept within the main wheel guards by the use of an in-built magnetic field. This virtually eliminates any metal dust leaving the machine and contaminating work surfaces. Even with the magnets present, the knife blade is not magnetised within this system, preventing side-on resistance when sharpening.
Typical sharpening times for a blade (150mm):
|New blade + never been sharpened by CATRASHARP
|Worn blade + never been sharpened by CATRASHARP
|Worn blade + last sharpened by CATRASHARP
The CATRASHARP is the smallest machine of our commercial powered sharpeners range; it is ideal for businesses that have between 1 and 20 knife users or for low-volume, high-quality knife makers.
Manufactured from stainless steel and aluminium, it is suitable for use in all food processing environments. This is an extremely well-engineered and manufactured product, it is not a toy or a domestic sharpener; it is at the forefront of sharpening technology and will give you many years of service.
Safety overload system built in to the machine prevents overloading the motors and, more importantly, prevent excessive sharpening and rapid loss of blade width.
Marinised versions are available for onboard use in fishing vessels, trawlers, factory ships and fish processing plants.
|30° inclusive angle – the Gothic Arch
|Grinding Wheel Diameter
|230V or 110V, with 200W
|< 83 dBA
|320mm x 140mm x 120mm
Contact us by phone or e-mail for the latest prices on all our knife sharpeners